A small, ecological boutique hotel on the Costa Maya beach, a new investment area on the Caribbean Sea. This 10-room hotel is located 6 kilometers south of Mahahual and the Puerto Costa Maya, one of Mexico’s largest cruise ports of call. Mahahual is expanding rapidly as the last new region in the Caribbean.
Unique Opportunity for Authentic Green Hotel
* A high quality ecological property with a strong market presence.
* Situated on 113 metres of beach front x 90 metres deep, one of the largest tracts of buildable land on this protected coastline.
* Electrical and water systems are environmentally friendly.
* Property includes 10 rooms, large dining room, lounge, office, full kitchen, storage casita, owners’ flat above restaurant and staff room.
* A large palapa, 2 hammock palapas and 2 umbrella palapas offer guests ample opportunity to find private seating space on the beach.
* A Learning Centre for sustainable hotels.
* 6 km south of Mahahual, one of the fastest growing cruise ports in Mexico. Only a 10-minute drive to town for shopping/dining but far enough away to be private and peaceful.
* Property value has increased significantly over the last 5 years with expected increases as Mahahual grows.
* Situated in low density coastline.
* Hotel has impressive presence in Travel Guide books, the web and new green web sites.
* Nominated in 2009/2010/2011 for the World Travel Award in category Leading Green Hotel in region of Mexico and Central America.
* Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence 2012,2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016
* #1 Inn on Trip Advisor 2014-5
Ecology Mission Statement and Brief Outline of Practices
Committed to providing comfort and quality services using the resources of nature without abusing the environment.
We believe that we have an obligation to protect the environment and reduce the impact of tourism by using eco-efficient energy and water systems, waste management practices and preserving the natural environment.
* 35 solar panels.
* 12 4-volt 2 cell batteries.
* 11 kilowatt system: 60 amps/120 volts.
* 1 small wind generator.
* Outback Inverter.
* Propane generator for backup purposes.
* Small portable generator
* 2 above ground cisterns: 100,000 litres.
* 1 underground cistern: 70,000 litres.
* Rain water collection on 2 roofs.
* Constructed wetlands on all units for grey water recycling.
* Black water units on all buildings for toilet waste.
* Continuous planting of native plants and fruit trees.
* Erosion wall on most of the beach.
* Recycling of organic waste and plastic/glass/tin.
Built from 2001 – 2003 using local masons under the direction of the property owner.
* 10 spacious rooms (7 m in diameter) each with private bathrooms, 2 single palapa rooms, 4 two-storey buildings with separate upper and beach level rooms.
* Large restaurant: capacity for 30 (4 x 12 m).
* Large lounge/bar area good for meeting space: (4 x 12m) 2 bathrooms.
* Kitchen with professional stove.
* Gracious entrance.
* Office/gift shop with sliding glass doors.
* Living quarters above restaurant: 2 bedrooms, bath in private bathroom, full kitchen, large living space (15 x 8.5 m).
* 1 washing machine, 1 dryer (laundry service in town for bulk items).
* Large space for storage of all items required to run hotel.
* Living quarters for 2 staff with shower and bathroom.
* Large open palapa suitable for dining, yoga or groups.
* 2 hammock palapitas and 2 umbrella palapitas.
Parking and Privacy Fence
* Large parking lot on fenced-in property for approximately 10 cars.
* Pole-type fencing around property for privacy.
Additional Leisure Assets
* Double and Single kayaks, paddles, backs, snorkeling gear, life jackets.
Configuration of 10 Rooms
* 2 palapas are stand-alone.
* 4 double-level buildings provide 4 upper and 4 beach level rooms.
* Rooms are spacious, 30 sq. metres.
* Full view of sea.
* Private terraces on all rooms.
* Private bathroom with large shower, hand-painted sink.
* Hot water, ceiling fans, blinds, excellent ventilation.
* One queen bed and one single.
* Decorated with Mexican art.
* Wi-Fi in all rooms.
* No air conditioning.
* Low flush composting toilets.
* All grey water used for constructed wetlands/garden beds.
* All black water filtered into tanks for garden use.
* All waste composted in units behind each unit.
* 24 hour electricity provided by solar and wind with backup gas generator.
* 3 large cisterns for rain water collection – 170,000-liter capacity.
Possibilities for Change
* Air conditioning could be added with reliance on a generator.
* Toilet system could be altered if “common” waste systems were added i.e. septic tanks.
Diving, kayaking, snorkeling, fishing, birding and MAYAN RUINS
COSTA MAYA NAMED AMONG WORLD-CLASS DIVING MECCAS
Cancún, Mexico – March 2007 – Located on Mexico’s Southern Yucatan Peninsula and sheltered by the second largest coral reef system in the world, the Meso-American reef, Costa Maya has been recognized as a world-class dive site and was recently ranked by experts as “Best Up and Coming Dive Destination,” and “One of the 50 Perfect Places to Dive into the Ultimate Adventure.”
Costa Maya boasts one of the most well-preserved waters and marine life in the world. The region offers visitors miles of unspoiled beaches and pristine waters that average 100 feet of visibility, and is home to more than 60 types of coral and more than 500 species of fish, making it a haven for any diving enthusiast.
Running from north to south, the Meso-American Reef is one of the world’s biggest and most well-preserved. A diver’s dream, the Reef is composed of finger formations that create canyons and swim-throughs where intact corals and marine wildlife flourish. In addition, divers can explore several shipwrecks, many of which date back to Colonial times.
Strategic planning and operation have ensured Costa Maya’s dive sites remain pure unpolluted and full of flora and fauna. As new divers learn of Costa Maya’s unique diving opportunities, the Port’s owners and the government continue to collaborate to guard the preservation of the area’s abundant wildlife and unharmed barrier reef. (Source: PR Puerto Costa Maya.)
While coastal diving is significant here, one of the main attractions for divers and snorkelers, as well as serious fishermen, is Chinchorro Bank. Mahahual is the closest town to access this atoll and a very special draw for many visitors.
Many people who have been diving in the north part of the Yucatan are now coming to Costa Maya as there are less people on the excursions and the reef is very healthy. PADI dive operations are in town.
Kayaking and Snorkeling
Just 200 metres from hotel is a pristine reef for snorkeling using the kayaks for easy access.
Coastal fishing, deep sea fishing and fly fishing are all available here.
Only 45 minutes away is the Mayan site, Chacchobean. Significant ruins, Kohunlich, Dizbanche, are within a 2-hour drive. Rio Bec region, with many more ruins including Calakmul, a major site, is 4 hours from Mahahual.
Frequent travel pattern is to come to the beach after visiting the Mayan ruins.
Agencies and Specialty Groups
* Tour and travel operators in Mexico, Canada, U.S., Europe and Argentina.
* Specialty groups – kayaking, weddings, retreats, diving.
Internet Web Sites
* Hotel has been invited to join various “green” web sites gratis – a growing trend in tourism.
* Hotel is listed on major web sites and reservation services, some free and others for a nominal annual fee.
* Extensive marketing list provided.
* Facebook and Twitter.
* Hotel has excellent reviews in all the major international travel guide books.
* Google web presence very strong.
Magazines Articles Unsolicited
* Hotel was featured in Budget Travel, February 2007.
* San Francisco Chronicle Travel Editor: article April 29 2007.
* Outside Magazine, February 2008 mentions hotel as the place to stay when diving in Mahahual.
* Men’s Health, New York Magazine and Washington Post.
* Selected for National Geographic Travel Magazine’s Stay List Hotels 2009.
* Ecohotels of the World – 5-star rating.
* The International Ecotourism Society – featured article on ecological practices.
* Responsible Hotels.
* Cancun International Airport is 4 hours north.
* Chetumal International Airport is 1 1/2 hours south. Can fly into Belize and take plane to Chetumal.
* Private airstrip 10 min. from Mahahual.
* First class bus to and from Cancun, Playa del Carmen and Tulum daily.
* First class bus/combie to and from Chetumal and Bacalar daily.
Mahahual is Costa Maya’s newest tourist town on Mexican Caribbean. A little over 10 years ago, Mahahual became the cruise ship gateway to southern Quintana Roo’s little known beaches and Mayan ruins.
Hotel is just far enough away from town to enjoy the privacy and tranquility of a remote beach haven yet, in 10 minutes, the town can be explored for shopping and dining. Major Mayan ruins are close and Calakmul, a significant ruin in the jungle, is a day trip away. Excellent diving and snorkeling on the Meso-American Reef, second longest in the world, is abundant with unexplored natural wonders. Uncrowded and pristine, this area is a welcome change from the crowded Mayan Riveria and Cozumel for sea activities. Fly- and deep-sea fishing are available as well as exploring the miles of beach along the coast.
- $1,500,000 US
- 113 m. x 90 m.